Relaxing with a glass of wine or a hot cup of coffee is always a great way to unwind after a long day. One thing that isn’t relaxing, though, is realizing that your favorite beverage has left wet rings or stains on your table! Prevent this by crafting absorbent rope coasters out of little more than standard rope, thin cork rounds, and adhesive. This fast and easy DIY tutorial will walk you through the process, and by the end, you’ll have your very own set of coasters, which are perfect for keeping or giving to a loved one.
You will need:
• Hot glue gun
• Fabric spray sealer
• Thin, round cork coasters
• Acrylic paint
• Acrylic spray sealer
1. Take the end of your rope, add a bit of glue along the side (about an inch to start) and begin to coil the center of your coaster.
2. Continue the process of adding glue and coiling as you go, making sure to hold the coiled rope together for a few seconds to let the glue dry before moving on. To ensure the coaster turns out flat, keep it on a flat surface, slowly spinning it as you secure the rope around the edge.
3. When you are satisfied with the size of your coasters, cut the end off on an angle so that the last bit does not bulge out. Glue the end to the side of the coaster. To prevent the edge from fraying, add a bit of hot glue to seal the rope.
4. Take your fabric spray sealer and spray both sides of your coaster. This prevents staining, so if you accidentally spill your beverage, you won’t ruin a perfectly good coaster!
5. Now, it’s time to attach the cork rounds to your coasters, for extra support and absorbency. Start by painting the bottoms and sides of your cork coasters. Let dry.
6. When the paint has dried, spray the coasters with an acrylic paint sealer. Let dry.
7. Glue the cork to the bottom of your rope coasters, ensuring that the painted side is facing out. If needed, trim the cork so that none of it peeks out from underneath your coaster.
8. Allow everything to dry fully. Once complete, you’re ready to use your new coasters!
Although we provide the utmost luxury at Lakes at North Port Apartments in North Port, Florida, we love going the extra mile with our digital resources! Spice up your life with something different, and try out this new routine, recipe, or recommendation today.