Biscuits are best when they’re warm, buttery, and flaky, with just the right amount of chewiness. Mmm...isn’t your stomach rumbling just thinking about them? If so, you’re in luck – the following Buttermilk Biscuits recipe will provide you with perfect, Southern-style biscuits that will be just as enjoyable at lunch or dinner as they are in a traditional breakfast setting.
• 2 cups all-purpose flour
• 2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1 teaspoon salt
• ¼ teaspoon baking soda
• 7 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled in a freezer and cut into thin slices
• ¾ cup cold buttermilk
• 2 tablespoons buttermilk for brushing
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
2. Whisk flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda together in a large bowl.
3. Cut butter into flour mixture with a pastry blender until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs, about 5 minutes.
4. Make a well in the center of butter and flour mixture. Pour in 3/4 cup buttermilk; stir until just combined.
5. Turn dough onto a floured work surface, pat together into a rectangle.
6. Fold the rectangle in thirds. Turn the dough a half turn, gather any crumbs, and flatten back into a rectangle. Repeat twice more, folding and pressing dough a total of three times.
7. Roll dough on a floured surface to about 1/2 inch thick. Cut out 12 biscuits using a 2 1/2-inch round biscuit cutter.
8. Transfer biscuits to the prepared baking sheet. Press an indent into the top of each biscuit with your thumb.
9. Brush the tops of biscuits with 2 tablespoons buttermilk.
10. Bake in the preheated oven until browned, about 15 minutes.
Shake up your household menu – and put your fully equipped kitchen to use – with this easy-to-follow recipe, courtesy of Lakes at North Port Apartments in North Port, Florida.