If you are looking for an ideal gift for the foodie in your life, you may be considering something like a membership to a food-based subscription service, a new set of cooking tools, or a splurge-worthy Le Creuset Dutch oven. However, you need not dole out the cash to treat your favorite foodie to something thoughtful and tasty. This simple recipe for Caramelized Onion and Bacon Jam is just the thing to present to any recipient who craves delicious and decadent treats. Check out the easy tutorial below!
• 1 1/2 lb. bacon, finely chopped
• 3 large onions, finely chopped
• 1 medium leek, finely chopped
• 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
• 1/2 c. balsamic vinegar
• 1/2 c. packed brown sugar
• 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
• 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1. In a deep 12-inch skillet, cook bacon over medium heat for 30 minutes, or until crisp and the fat has rendered, stirring occasionally. With a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to a paper-towel-lined plate. Remove and discard all but 2 tablespoons bacon fat in skillet.
2. Add onions, leek, garlic, and 1/4 teaspoon salt to fat in skillet. Cook over medium heat for 50 minutes or until caramelized and soft, stirring occasionally.
3. Add vinegar, sugar, oregano, nutmeg, bacon, and 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper. Cook 15 minutes or until onions are very soft.
4. Transfer mixture to food processor; pulse until finely chopped. Transfer to 4 small jars; refrigerate until cold. Jam may be refrigerated for up to 2 weeks.
Inspiration can come from anywhere – just ask the team at Lakes at North Port Apartments in North Port, Florida. By passing along this information, we hope to inspire you with new ideas, projects, and goals, too.