A common pantry staple is steel-cut oats. Not only are they extremely versatile in nature, but they are also nutritious. With the ingredients you already have in your pantry, it’s easier to plan your meals for the week, like this recipe for Hearty Oat Porridge. By making it ahead of time, you do not have to concern yourself with preparing breakfast in the morning, in addition to all the other pieces of your AM routine. Just pop it in the microwave with a bit of water or milk, and you’re ready to indulge in this cinnamon-infused treat that will warm your belly and heart. If you want some extra protein, consider adding a dollop of Greek yogurt or nut butter to the mix. To get started, take a look at the ingredients list below.
- 1 cup apple juice
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 cup steel-cut oats
- 1/2 cup millet
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- In a slow cooker, combine the apple juice, water, almond milk, cinnamon and allspice and whisk.
- Add the steel-cut oats and millet and stir, then cover and set on low.
- Cook the oat porridge for 7 hours.
- When the mixture is thick, remove the lid and stir to mix well, then stir in the berries.
Lakes at North Port Apartments in North Port, Florida